CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Digest Number 1443

Posted by IMService
on 2001-06-22 15:09:49 UTC
> Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2001 20:21:27 -0000
> From: yahoo@...
>Subject: Mill Opinions & CNC simulators

>I would like to know if there is an effort to write a GPL (or
>similar) free source CNC simulator? I'd like to join such an effort
>if there is. If not, i'd like to start one. Does anyone really pay
>$800 for such a thing?

Welcome Mike. Simulation has several uses. For the beginner, there is a lot to be said for a simple simulator that shows what happens when you process a G01 or a G02. I keep a copy of "The CNC Workbook" in my left hand desk drawer, because I can't remember the name otherwise. I bought it used for about $40. It has a diskette in the back with a simulator that does a nice job. Try Amazon.com and search for books by Frank Nanfara, Tony Uccello, and Derek Murphy. The latest version is available on the net and includes an updated version of the simulator on CD-Rom. The book that I have is about 300 pages.

Once you know what you are doing, simulation becomes less of a learning tool and more a tool to prevent serious errors in programming, or a tool to optimize programming and processing strategies. MetaCut View is an excellent example of one such commercial tool that costs just $350. It is very nicely done and is also available over the net.

If you have some serious iron to protect though you will need to spend about $3000-$4000 to purchase a commercial license for a mid range program That will allow you to model your CNC machine, fixtures, tools, and the part model as the machining progresses. These are expensive because someone has to program every contingency for a given machine, including macro programming languages, rotary and linear axes, and in some cases 4th and 5th axes articulated spindles, subspindles, dual turrets, etc. I have seen some simulators on Unix systems that cost in the neighborhood of $20,000, or more, depending on the complexity of the machines and the variation in the controllers. Search for a program called Silma. http://www.adept.com/Silma/

You will need quite a chunk of change to procure a functioning license, besides the Unix admin skills required.

Best Regards, Fred Smith- IMService
Listserve Special discounts and offers are at: http://209.69.202.197/cadcamedmdro.html

imserv@... Voice:248-486-3600 or 800-386-1670 Fax: 248-486-3698

Discussion Thread

IMService 2001-06-22 15:09:49 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Digest Number 1443