CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Turbocnc and Limit Switch

Posted by rudolphs@s...
on 2001-06-28 16:29:17 UTC
Alan,
Thanks for taking the time to help me with this , I guess I had it the
other way around .
I will keep on tinkering with it ....
Frank

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@y..., Alan Marconett KM6VV <KM6VV@a...> wrote:
> Hi Frank,
>
> The Gecko's need their own power. You don't want to "steal" it
from the
> Parallel port pins, that won't work. Take it from a separate supply
> (wall wart), or from the PC's joystick or keyboard connector power
pins
> (see previous threads).
>
> I would think that if the + travel and - travel limits are SEPARATE
> inputs to TurboCNC (I haven't examined the product), then you'd be
> allowed to move in the opposite direction!
>
> A pull-up resistor of 1-10K, from the "input" pin to the
aforementioned
> +5v, should be what you're looking for. This guarantees a high
level
> signal when a switch (+ limit sw's connected in series, - limit sw's
> also connected in series on separate circuit) "opens". The sw
circuits
> n/c contacts "pull" the "pulled up" input pin low, if both (2 axis)
> switches are closed.
>
> This ASSUMES that TurboCNC allows this "active high level" for the
limit
> signal. Wired in this fashion, an ACTIVATED SWITCH, broken wire, or
> broken switch should give you a LIMIT error (active HIGH signal),
when
> the input pin goes to +5v!
>
> The "broken stuff" means you a little added protection, when and if
the
> wires or switches get damaged! Otherwise, you might not notice the
> damage until TOO LATE!
>
> The Gecko's don't need much current, neither will the pull-up
resistors
> and limit switch circuits.
>
> Please verify this in your manual before implementing. SAFETY
FIRST!
> And make careful tests and make your OWN DETERMINATION if this is
> suitable for your hardware/software!
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> BTW, there is also a C5 list!
>
> emcocompact5users@y...
>

> Alan KM6VV
> P.S. We'd like to hear the results!
>

> rudolphs@s... wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> > I'm working on converting a Emco Pc 5 Lathe , I'm using
> > Turbocnc and Gecko 201's .
> > What is the best way to hook up limit switches ?
> > Right know I have the software set up to sense activation
> > when that switch is going low (to ground) .
> > I need to have some way to reset this condition
> > so I can proceed with the movement of the motor .
> > Also I noticed that setting them this way seems
> > to put a drain on the available voltage to the drive's
> > I'm not using any pull-up resistors ,
> > (not really sure how to wire those).
> > Any help or ideas would be great.
> > Thanks
> > Frank

Discussion Thread

rudolphs@s... 2001-06-28 13:47:26 UTC Turbocnc and Limit Switch Alan Marconett KM6VV 2001-06-28 14:41:21 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Turbocnc and Limit Switch rudolphs@s... 2001-06-28 16:29:17 UTC Re: Turbocnc and Limit Switch