CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Bridgeport BOSS upgrade

Tim Goldstein wrote:

> I did some experimenting on Bridgett my Boss equipped series II with G210a
> and the original Bridgeport stepper motors. I found that 2 of the motors
> microstepped just fine with great positional accuracy and power, but that
> the 3rd motor worked like crap microstepping. The motor that was bad on
> microstep did perform well on full steps. Richard from Ahha had posted some
> info about the motors on Bridgeports getting damaged from the original
> drives failing or overheating of the motors. The result was that the motor
> was partial demagnetized and microstepping performance would be diminished
> and id you try turning the motor by hand you will feel little detent effect.
> My poor performing motor exhibited exactly what Richard explained.

OF COURSE! If the magnets for the two windings were not very evenly matched,
then the microstepping would be providing precisely calculated currents that
were totally wrong for the forces developed in the motor. It never ocurred
to me that only ONE SET of magnets could be damaged! This makes some
things suddenly become clear!

ace@d... 2001-07-15 19:39:49 UTC Bridgeport BOSS upgrade garyswindell@h... 2001-07-16 08:17:43 UTC Re: Bridgeport BOSS upgrade Tim Goldstein 2001-07-16 08:47:55 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Bridgeport BOSS upgrade Randy Gordon-Gilmore 2001-07-16 08:48:11 UTC Re: Bridgeport BOSS upgrade Jon Elson 2001-07-16 10:39:20 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Bridgeport BOSS upgrade Jon Elson 2001-07-16 10:43:11 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Bridgeport BOSS upgrade garyswindell@h... 2001-07-16 10:47:32 UTC Re: Bridgeport BOSS upgrade