CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] EMC Basics

Posted by Ian Wright
on 2001-07-26 01:10:38 UTC
Hi Ethan,

> Can I run EMC on a new Dell? They're relatively cheap, about $800.00 CDN.
($550.00 US)

Should be Ok but I would make sure you get details of the video card and the
monitor - particularly the horizontal and vertical sync rates of the
monitor. Some of the latest hardware isn't fully supported yet in linux and
so you may need to just enter the most basic information. Linux is catching
up but, since it is mainly up to the equipment manufacturers to produce
drivers for their equipment and it seems some manufacturers haven't even
heard of linux yet.........

> Is it possible to model the setup that I need on the computer? I have all
the parameters for the steppers and the controllers.

Setting up the model parameters for your machine(s) is done by means of an
initialisation file which is simply a text file. Following the model files
provided, you simply alter the necessary parameters to suit your setup and
save the file under a new name. Consequently you can have as many diferent
setups as you wish.

> Can I store several (many) programs on the computer and call them up as
needed?

Again, the part programs are just text files, based on the G-code standard
and so you can store as many as your hard drive will take.

> What would the pin-out be if I choose to use encoder feedback to verify
position? Can this be done with the parallel port?

Interface to the machine is by the parallel port(s). If you need the
extended capabilities of motor control, coolant control etc., you will need
a second parallel port which can be done by buying a plug-in card. EMC will
recognise this and allow you to interface most of the signals you may need
via the two ports. The only drawback (shortcoming) of EMC is that it can
only handle a single Home and Limit switch input and so, for homing, you
have to do each axis separately - you can't just hit a button and have all
three (or more) axes home simultaneously.

> I am downloading the 209-01.img file. If I copy that on to a CD ROM, is
that all I need to get started?

Yes. You need to set the computer to boot from the CDROM which is done in
the Setup window (F1, DEL or whatever on machine startup)

One thing you should be aware of is that, whilst CAD programs exist for
linux, I haven't yet found and CAM programs to convert from the CAD output
file (usually .dxf or .stl) to the necessary G-code for input to EMC. This
can, however, be readily done on a windows machine and transferred to the
linux machine either over a network or on a CD or Floppy.

Ian
--
Ian W. Wright
Sheffield UK