CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: EMC Probing

Posted by Ray
on 2001-07-26 16:18:05 UTC
From: Ethan Vos <ethan@...>

>The Probing section of the EMC Handbook does not seem to be working
>properly.

It looks like we, linuxcnc.org/handbook desperately need someone who will
volunteer to flesh out that page as they explore the process of probing
with the software.

There is a response in the linuxcnc.org/handbook/faq/faq.html under the
question, "Does EMC support probe digitizing?" That is essentially
repeated below.

>Where could I find the appropriate documents if I want to explore this
>further? It's something I've always wanted.

You haven't received your BDI yet but when you do, or if you have a working
copy of the EMC laying around, there is a script under that menu called
probing. That script will gain you access to the probe functions. All you
need to do is hook up a switch to an open parport pin, set the ini file to
use that pin (it can be done within the probe script) and try commanding a
motion. While the motion is going, trip the switch and you should see the
location at the time the switch was tripped.

One can only dream of the applications that can be written to make use
of this feature. If there are any Tcl/Tk programmers out there -- wanna
talk!

HTH

Ray

Discussion Thread

Ethan Vos 2001-07-26 07:18:19 UTC EMC Probing Ray 2001-07-26 16:18:05 UTC Re: EMC Probing