CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] 8 wire stepper motors

Posted by JanRwl@A...
on 2001-08-01 13:01:55 UTC
In a message dated 01-Aug-01 12:05:06 Central Daylight Time,
jguenther@... writes:

> I have some Pacific Scientific 8 wire stepper motors. I am curious about
> the best way to wire them up, serial or parallel? Which method will give me
> the highest torque from these motors on a bipolar chopper driver?

If series, the VOLTAGE will have to be higher, the current lower, and the
inductance double. This cuts down the possible stepping-rate without
ramping, and the resulting torque as speeds is way-less.

If parallel, the current is double, the voltage half, and the inductance is
lower, so you can step much faster, maintaining torque over speed much, much
better. If your chopper-drives can be "customized" for output-current (like
Mariss' Gecko bipolar chopper drives), this is the logical choice! The only
"drawback" is if your DC supply is current-challenged. Gotta do the math
first!

Jan Rowland, Troll

jguenthe 2001-08-01 09:56:59 UTC 8 wire stepper motors JanRwl@A... 2001-08-01 13:01:55 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] 8 wire stepper motors