CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: die filer

Posted by Les Watts
on 1999-09-24 06:43:19 UTC
Stephen Barmash wrote:

> From: "Stephen Barmash" <GEARSNSHAFTS@...>
>
> Hello Les Watts,
>
> I saw your posting and noticed your company is the Illinois Tool Works. I
> just purchased a used bench-top die filing machine No. 376 built in Chicago
> by the ...Illinois Tool Works, Inc. Do you know anything about this company
> and its products. --

Stephen,

Wow! I guess that machine was made back when ITW was just a small facility in Chicago.

We are a little bigger and more diversified now. You probably know us better by some of our divisions-
Miller and Hobart (welding)
Devilbis, Binks, Ransberg, Gema (liquid and powder coating)
Paslode,Duofast,Ramset,Spit (air and internal combustion nailing tools)
Signode,Mima (Strapping and shrink wrap)
Hi-cone (the things that hold 6 packs together)
Shakeproof (fasteners)
Devcon,Philadelphia Resins,Fluid products (adhesives and industrial chemicals)

We are now over 400 divisions and just aquired a bunch more. Almost like the borg.
Anyway, Illinois tools is still around and is currently making crossed roller slides (i think). We may be
talking near prehistory here but if you give me the serial number I will check since that
business unit is here in our Glenview campus. I suspect I won't find very much but you have my
curiosity up.

I'm off today to work on the new tools. I told myself I wouldn't go overboard cleaning them up but now the lathe
is disassembled, stripped , refilled (bondo), and about to be painted in the original colors. I'm a little obsessive
about (over)restoring machine tools. But don't you hate a nice tool glopped up with the layers of paint that were
applied every time it got dirty?

Oh, to keep this on topic- are you going to convert this to a CNC die filer? :^)

Leslie M.Watts
Illinois Tool Works
Corporate Advanced Technology group
(847) 657-4559
http://www.netcom.com/~leswatts/leswp.html

Discussion Thread

Les Watts 1999-09-24 06:43:19 UTC Re: die filer