CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: CAM Expert software, Vector CAM, offsets, PCB's

on 2001-08-02 11:03:20 UTC
Hi Jerry,

The full Vector CAD/CAM generates Gcodes! You don't need ACE if you
have it! :>)

Draw a part on one layer, select it, "draw, other curves, offset". Now
you have a tool path. Save the DXF file. I believe ACE will allow you
to select the layers, otherwise, you may want to just copy the tool path
to another drawing, and then you can save JUST the tool path. I've done
that to test some of my own DXF code. In fact, I've been playing with
an idea of parsing Gerber files, and using either PLC (Vector input
format) or DXF formats to generate (draw) the specified "objects" (pads
and traces), and then import them into Vector. Once in vector, I can do
the offsets, and I have a milling file for a PCB!

Kellyware can do Gerber's (RS274X), but it didn't like mine from work
(Pads, I think). DesKAM can also take a DXF drawing (from your favorite
CAD program) of pads and traces, and do the offsets for you. I've
played with that too.

I'd like to use Eagle (RS-274D files) :>( to generate a PCB layout, and
then process it for either milling or commercial etching.

Alan KM6VV