CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

RE: Talbot ?

Posted by Elliot Burke
on 1999-09-25 15:40:36 UTC
A square wave grating when illuminated by spatially coherent light will
form an image of itself at the Talbot spacing. Thus when a readout grating
is placed at this position, it has optimum contrast.
It has been known as Talbot effect, or Talbot spacing, for a long time, but
is not widely discussed outside interferometry circles. There are articles
in Applied Optics, and probably in JOSA (journal of the optical society of
america) that hash it out.
I doubt if it is known by any other name, at least in English speaking
engineering.
There was a commercial device by the name of a Talbot interferometer about
15 years ago, but it was rather obscure, and anyone that wanted one could
make one very easily (I did).

Elliot Burke

Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 12:48:12 +0200
From: "Arne Chr. Jorgensen" <instel@...>
Subject: Talbot ?

Elliot:
----
I am not familiar with the "nomentclure" - what is Talbot spacing
? Is there any papers on the net, which could sheed some light
into this ?

There is something you said, that I take as:

The Talbot spacing - must be the distance between the stationary and
the moving gratings.

Could this be known under another name ? What we have is two
diffraction gratings, and just a bunch of difficult stuff appears,
interference, etc.

But you hit a "nerve" - telling me something I think I recognize. I
just can't grasp it, yet.

___
___

Message: 4