CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Do I really need one?

Weyland wrote:

> Okay, thanks for the explanation of the chopper.
> Now, do I really need one for the plasma cutter?
> Speed is not a primary concern, as we're talking like 9ipm.
>
> Now that confusing polar thing again.
> The motors my Pop has for me are listed as bipolar.
> Does that automatically mean they aren't also unipolar.
> >From what I understand so far of what you guys have taught me,
> is that you use a uniplolar motor in bipolar by not using the center tap.
> (izzat correct?)
> Does that mean that one that is listed as bipolar doesn't have the center
> tap?

It could. If it has only four wires, then it is bipolar, only! If it has 6
or 8 wires,
you can wire it up as you like.

> The thing that's confusing about this is -
> If bipolar is better, and you use a uni as bi by dropping the center tap,
> then why make it uni capable at all?

It is just more flexible that way. The extra wire doesn't cost the
manufacturer
much, and if he makes them 6 wire, he doesn't have to carry two models.

Weyland 2001-08-10 06:33:02 UTC Do I really need one? Jon Elson 2001-08-10 09:45:07 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Do I really need one?