CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Subject: using a CNC mill to engrave metal

on 2001-08-14 06:13:08 UTC
David,

I've had good luck engraving small letters using shop made spring loaded
pointed tool and not rotating it - Sort of like the pantograph engravers
they use in trophy shops except with a CNC control instead of following a
template - Easy to make multiple passes with CNC to make the letters deeper
- You can make quite small engraving and still be very legible presuming A)
- NO backlash in CNC system & B) - NO slop in the spring loaded engraving
tool - The spring loading removes the restriction on absolute flatness
required with solid tools used to engrave small characters -

Roland Friestad

******************
>Message: 2 - Digest 1558
> Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2001 19:47:32 -0000
> From: "david albert" <dalbert@...>
>Subject: using a CNC mill to engrave metal
>
>I was wondering if anyone has any experience using a sherline mill
>with a CNC package as an engraver. Ideally, I would like to be able
>to type some text on a keyboard and have the mill enrave some metal
>down a few thousandths with what I typed. What end mill should I
>use? What CNC software? Any web site you could point me to? thanks
>in advance.

Discussion Thread

Roland Friestad 2001-08-14 06:13:08 UTC Re: Subject: using a CNC mill to engrave metal