CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] What is EMC ? part II

Posted by Paul
on 2001-08-16 12:35:00 UTC
Hi Babar

Answers mixed in below :-

On Thu, 16 Aug 2001, riet91@... wrote:

> is the downloadable BDI at www.linuxcnc.org the latest one ?

The link to the BDI image is indeed the latest one, until Version 2.10 is
ready. Hopefully have it on it's way over to Henka for hosting next week.
The binary tarball in the dropbox is built from the current CVS sources, thanks
go to Ray for his work on it.

> how much programming knowledge (and in which language) and knowledge about
> Linux do I need to start with EMC?

None required, a small amount of computer literacy is required - If you are
here, you already have all the necessary skills to start. Getting to grips
with the finer points of system administration and command line syntax will
come in time.

> Has anyone used EMC for Turning center or Lathe?

I know of one experimental turning center in Germany using Hexapod technology.

> What and how much changes will be required for using EMC for Lathe control?

Leaving aside the question of threading, just a few settings in the ini file
will suffice for basic lathe control. Constant surface speed and threading is
much more involved. I have been picking over the source code and trying to work
out how to impliment it.

> Does EMC support spindle speed control which is required for threading in
> turning centers?

Spindle speed control is not a must for threading - My Boxford is gear driven,
yet performs CNC threading quite well. On the other hand, constant surface
speed does require some degree of control over spindle speed. EMC does not have
this in place yet.

Regards, Paul.

Discussion Thread

riet91@y... 2001-08-16 04:46:21 UTC What is EMC ? part II Paul 2001-08-16 12:35:00 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] What is EMC ? part II