CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Install on Demand?

on 2001-08-17 21:35:58 UTC
This isn't a virus. If you look under the Format->Encoding menu you'll see a
lot of choices. For people who speak different languages, you normally use a
different encoding. When Outlook recieves an email in an encoding it doesn't
fully support, it will ask if you want to download support for it, thats the
box you're seeing. The reason the message ends up OK, is that most encodings
are backwards compatible with ASCII, which is pretty much what we restrict
ourselves to in this list. If you really want to learn more, I recommend
"CJKV": http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/cjkvinfo/.
--chris prosser

----- Original Message -----
From: "Doug Harrison" <prototype@...>
To: <CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Friday, August 17, 2001 4:14 PM
Subject: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Install on Demand?

> I have suddenly been getting email from my two Yahoogroups lists that
causes outlook express to pop up a message box called Internet Explorer
Install on Demand. The box says I need to download a file in order to read
the characters contained in the email.

> The latest such email was from Ben Fleming on this list. The message box
contains a check box next to the phrase "never download files of this type"
but it will not let me put a check in the box. The other thing peculiar is
that after I click it's cancel button the box dissapears and the email shows
up with no unreadable characters apparent.

> Is this a virus (Ben, you digitally promiscuous person you!), is it some
spyware Microsoft wants me to download, or is it legitimate? I've used the
same outlook express for two years without seeing this message. I have IE
Explorer blocked by the firewall and never use it other than to view jpegs
off line. Seems outlook express managed to acquire this feature on it's own
just recently.