CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Mouse encoder...

Posted by Weyland
on 2001-08-21 14:33:11 UTC
From: <alan_hantke@...>

> Mice are really simple if anyone has taken them apart. I was thinking of
> trying to use one as a trackball for a CNC (kind of like the Hurco). The
> trouble with a mouse, however, is that it is designed to have the ball
drop
> down with gravity, not being pressed in. In summary, I don't think it
> would work to well. There is an easy solution though. Many McIntosh
users
> swear by trackballs and hence they are fairly common. and if you want to
> integrate one into a panel, check out the Logitech line. About 5 years
ago
> they sold a micro trackball which was designed to clip onto the side of a
> laptop. I think (don't quote me) they called it a trackman or something
> like that. They are a bit less common, but should be relatively easy to
> find still.
>
> Just a thought in case someone wanted a trackball.

I use a trackball on most of my computers.
(Kensington Expert Mouse)
http://kensington.com/products/pro_mic_d1029.html
I swear by them and dislike mice after getting one.
I now want the James T. Kirk model...
http://kensington.com/products/pro_mic_d1324.html

Inside these is a different story though...
You have the ball (regular billiards ball actually) which
sits "in" the device, and *down* on bearings.
Emitters inside it shine at the sides of the bearings (at 45 degrees),
which are etched with graduations to interrupt the light,
which is then caught by the collector or receiver.
(please pardon my ignorance if I'm not using the correct terms,
I'm pretty electronically ignorant)

I don't know how viable a solution this is, but thought I'd offer the
insight.

Weyland

Discussion Thread

alan_hantke@i... 2001-08-21 10:17:26 UTC Mouse encoder... Weyland 2001-08-21 14:33:11 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Mouse encoder... Carol & Jerry Jankura 2001-08-21 15:22:11 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Mouse encoder...