CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: RedHat 6.0

Posted by stratton@x...
on 1999-10-03 14:01:04 UTC
> From: "Ian Wright" <Ian@...>
>
> HI,
>
> I have been monitoring the RedHat list for a while recently and the one
> thing which has struck me is the amount of trouble people are having running
> version 6.0. Many of the problems seem to be as a result of upgrading but
> there are so many similar problems that it makes me wonder whether it would
> be worth trying to sort out EMC to work on this or whether it would be
> better to wait and see if the 6.1 version will be better. I won a copy of
> 6.0 recently and the problems reported on the RedHat list have put me off
> even trying it!

I'm running 6.0 on my desktop machine, but given that EMC is so
closely tied to kernel 2.0.36 and the 2.2 kernels that ship with
Redhat 6.0 are drastically different, I would not attempt the upgrade,
even if you were to keep the old kernel. I will say I succesfully
booted a redhat 6.0 installation with a 2.0.36 kernal hacked for
realtime, but it was an accident due to misuse of lilo, so I didn't
spend much time seeing if anything was broken in that configuration.

Chris

--
Christopher C. Stratton, stratton@...
Engineer, Instrument Maker & Horn Player

Discussion Thread

Ian Wright 1999-10-03 01:11:03 UTC RedHat 6.0 stratton@x... 1999-10-03 14:01:04 UTC Re: RedHat 6.0