CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Engraving Aluminum

on 2001-09-01 17:50:34 UTC
> William Scalione wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I need to engrave some control panels and will
> > be using about .090" aluminum sheet. I was
> > wondering if anyone knew what type and temper
> > would work best for that. The engraving supply
> > places sell only very thin stuff, so I will be getting
> > it from an aircraft supply house. They are the only
> > ones I found that sell it with the protective plastic
> > sheet over it. All the other places I have bought
> > my aluminum from give me a piece all scratched
> > up that requires an hours worth of sanding. I will
> > be using a floating engraving head with a 1/8"
> > cutter at about 15,000 rpm
>
> 6061-T6 is excellent stuff. The harder vareties tend
> to cut cleanly, while the sofft stuff 3003, 6061-T2 and below,
> etc. are soft and tend to mush or tear as well as cut, making
> things look a little ragged.
>
> The problem with unanodized aluminum, even 6061-T6
> is that is is still pretty soft, and will scratch easily. That's
> why most professional outfits anodize the panels, so that
> they will resist scratching from pens, rings and such stuff
> that people have in their hands when pushing buttons.
>
> Jon

Jon,

Thanks, That's what I've used before, just wondering
if there was anything better.

I've done a few panels before and found that the easiest
way to do it is to engrave the panel, bring it to the anodizers
and have them clean/etch it. Bring it home and paint the
letters with epoxy paint. Don't worry about getting the paint
on the unengraved part of the panel. Allow ample drying time
and then sand the panel with a random orbital sander. This
leaves the paint only in the engraved area. Bring it back to
the anodizer and have them clean and anodize. The epoxy
paint holds up to the cleaning/etching/anodizing process and
makes for a real nice job. If using white paint on a black
anodized finish make certain that you sand well and then
sand some more. White paint on bare aluminum is tough
to see, that is, until the anodizer dyes it black. Then it requires
a redo, I know, Ive done it.

Trying to paint the letters after anodizing is not the way to go.
Getting the excess paint off using some sort of solvent will
discolor the finish. Especially white paint off a black finish.
Even water based paint will soak in when trying to remove it.
I've done that too.

Bill

Discussion Thread

William Scalione 2001-09-01 13:59:56 UTC Engraving Aluminum Jon Elson 2001-09-01 17:10:17 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Engraving Aluminum William Scalione 2001-09-01 17:50:34 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Engraving Aluminum Smoke 2001-09-01 17:56:52 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Engraving Aluminum Rich D. 2001-09-01 19:10:43 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Engraving Aluminum Smoke 2001-09-01 19:57:24 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Engraving Aluminum JanRwl@A... 2001-09-02 12:15:16 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Engraving Aluminum