CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Insallation recovery

Clint Bach wrote:

> From: Clint Bach <clintbach@...>
>
> Hi all,
>
> Remember me--- the frustratred RTlinux/EMC installer? I did manage to
> get rtlinux installed finally. I had many adventures on the way to an
> installation of rtlinux. I even managed to make a hard drive I wasn't
> installing on unbootable!

That's a good trick! Now, I've made quite a few disks unbootable with
failed Linux installs, including a few that actually had working systems on
them, but wouldn't boot without the help of a floppy.

> I eventually got setuprt.zip unzipped and
> working. It took about three tries but it eventually did work. Most of
> my problems were related to my misunderstandings of linux... The short
> of it is that since I had to reinstall EVERYTHING on the system I used
> for e-mail I lost all my e-mail addresses and url's. Could someone
> please send me the url for the EMC downloads. I lost the downloads I
> had made of EMC in the whole mess too. How do I test if my rtlinux
> kernel is working ok? I don't get any error messages when it loads so
> that is good, huh?

ftp://isdftp.cme.nist.gov/pub/emc/

As for testing, there are a couple of tests in the patch kit. One is supposed
to send a bit of speech by Linus Torvald through the PC speaker, but it
hasn't produced anything more than a whine on several systems. There is also
a test that installs a RT module which sets up scheduling and communicates
with a Linux process, which reports results. That one did work for me.
Also, there is one little one that flips a bit on the parallel port at a specified
rate. That one also worked.

Clint Bach 1999-10-05 09:14:35 UTC Insallation recovery Jon Elson 1999-10-05 16:13:27 UTC Re: Insallation recovery