CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

RE: Request for Sherline CNC Conversion Costs - Formerly: Request for Recommendation for Power Supply

on 2001-09-07 08:58:30 UTC
Shabbir,

I assume you ask because you are considering a similar conversion. So far,
I have about $650.00 in the conversion, and estimate another $350.00 will be
spent before I am through. My investment to date, breaks out in the
following manner:

CNC Upgrade Kit from Sherline (Hardware to mount stepper motors) $168.00
3 Stepper motors (Sherline as well) $140.00
Camtronics 2A, 3-Axis Controller $159.00
300 Watt, 24V US Digital power supply $170.00

I still have to purchase materials for building an enclosure for the
controller, cabeling to connect to the mill, and CAM software. Of the
remaining items I project software will be the main cost.

As others on this list can share with you, there are ways to reduce the
total cost, i.e., build your own mounts, shop for lower cost motors,
buy/design the bare controller board and supply your own parts, use an
alternative power supply, and use free/shareware. For me, time was more
important than minimizing my investment.

The power supply was ordered yesterday, so I cannot comment on it, however,
I have been very satisfied with the rest of the components. The Sherline
CNC conversion was easy. All parts mated properly, and the instructions
were adequate. I particularly like the double-ended stepper motors, they
allow one to continue to use the handwheels. The Camtronics controller kit
took more time to assemble and test, but still a straight forward project.
This is my first experience with CNC and driver circuits, so I have had
questions. I give Dan Mauch high marks for service after the sale. I simply
e-mailed Dan my questions. Each time, he responded very promptly and
provided an appropriately detailed response.

You may be wondering if I would go this route again. If the mill conversion
meets my expectations, I will convert my rotary table to CNC and add Dan's
4-axis module. Also, I will convert my Sherline lathe. For the lathe
conversion, I plan to use the same power supply, controller and software. I
will again go with Sherline's CNC conversion kit. I will shop around for
motors, but unless there are problems with their performance on the milling
machine, there will need to be a substantial savings before I purchased an
different motor.

Hope this response helps you.

Dan Barber

Message: 13