CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Any thoughts or feedback on Dolphin

on 2001-10-10 13:35:19 UTC
I have been using Dolphin for about six years. Cad is very easy to
learn, yet capable of producing very complex geometry, and complete
engineering drawings (if required). Also has DXF import/export.
I mostly use the milling module (turning available as well) on a
variety of machines/controls. I really like the machining because
unlike a lot of other CadCam systems (I have tried a lot of them) you
only see the parts you need to machine in the Cam system, everything
else dimensions/text/borders/section views etc. are not used, this
makes it a very uncluttered view.
Machining functions are very comprehensive, lots of different
strategies can be used, take for example 'area clearance' with
unlimited islands. I do a lot of programs for machining plastics with
very thin webs which are very prone to breaking, these are usually
islands in a pocket, on other systems that I have used, you have one
strategy for machining this, if it doesnt work, your stuck. With
Dolphin you can select 'contour' 'uni-directional' 'bi-
directional' 'initial go-round', you can set the swathe (step over of
the cutter as a %) roughing angle etc. I have found that the best
strategy for the thin webs is the initial go-round.
And best of all, you don't have to do any editing of the programs at
the machine, I send it to the machine, press go and leave it!
They just sent me the latest version, and its got True Type Windows
Font engraving.

In short, its easy, it works!

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@y..., "Eric Mack" <glee@i...> wrote:
> As I continue my quest for a CAD/CAM product (See earlier posts) I
> have often been referred to Vector as one solution that I could
> consider. Another product that has been referred almost as often is
> product called Dolphin from the UK.
>
> I am curious to know if there are folks in the group who are using
> Dolphin for small machine (Sherline)CNC applications. I am not sure
> what the product costs so I don't know how it compares to the price
> for Vector.
>
> I just completed the demo tutorial for vector. I'll see if there is
> one for Dolphin.
>
> Any feedback welcome.
>
> Here's the link
>
> http://www.dolphin-systems.co.uk/

Discussion Thread

Eric Mack 2001-10-09 17:14:55 UTC Any thoughts or feedback on Dolphin Tony Jeffree 2001-10-09 22:14:04 UTC Re: Any thoughts or feedback on Dolphin dave_pearson@b... 2001-10-10 13:35:19 UTC Re: Any thoughts or feedback on Dolphin