CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Linux/EMC install survey

Posted by Ray Henry
on 1999-10-12 19:30:48 UTC
Linux install survey

Disclaimer - I started computing with a southwest technical products 8080
system that I bolted into one of mom's old tupperware then graduated to dos
so I have done some keyboard input. I also served as ocasional system
admin (superuser) for a Radio Shack 6000 xenix system for several years.

1. My first setup was a linux with the emc simulator. I did install an rt
patch and had a problem with it that Fred chased down to the NIST ftp file.
The sim does not use nor require the rt but tests of rt showed that it
worked.

I used the least expensive tigerdirect kit available at the time. (march)
cyrix pr300 m2
32 meg ram
CD and floppy
existing compaq monitor
no modem or net
Two Linux books
walnut creek redhat 5.1

This install took two 20 hour days. It was a steep learning curve. Five
bucks an hour figuring Matt's rate. I planned to go on to real signals and
motors but one of my ofspring decided they had to have the box.

2. Again I ran the least expensive tigerdirect kit available at the time.
(June)
cyrix pr300 m2
64 meg ram
CD and floppy
new sylvania monitor
added used external 3com modem

I had a problem (vga only) with a SIS video chipset card. Swapped the card
to a win box for an s3 chip card. Tim's script and Matt's 64step stuff was
doccumented in this group by then. Workstation install from walnut creek
redhat 5.2. I set up Linux, the rt patch, emc, the stepper ini and run
files, a parallel port cord to centent stepper drivers, and had three
stepper motors jumping around on the bench in five hours. Not to bad
considering the video card problem and the addition of the modem.

3. Same box as 2 above. Dual boot win95 and linux on one 8 gig drive. Two
and a half hours for both systems, to motors spinning, -- win first. I
added an stg board, and a mini tiger for I/O (tool changer) logic on one of
the serial ports, and as I get the chance, am working on servos for my moog
retrofit mill.

Ray

"We learn from experience, if at all." Robert Heinlein

> From: "Carlos Guillermo" <Carlos@...>
>Subject: RE: emc
>
>Fair question. Forget about the "average" time investment. How about each
>person's estimated time investment, and a description of their systems,
>answering Terry's points?

Discussion Thread

Ray Henry 1999-10-12 19:30:48 UTC Re: Linux/EMC install survey