CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] CNC5 Floppy Drive- was -Digest Number 1725 message1

on 2001-10-23 21:07:35 UTC
Hi All.
Re fitting a floppy to the CNC 5
I suspect that to try to do that using the CNC5s inbuilt firmware where
almost everything is in the onboard ROM, and the custom hardware is "odd",
would be very difficult - I've never tried it though.

I do have an alternative solution though, which I have used with several
CNC 5s, including my own. Most of them, certainly all of the later
versions, have a serial port on them, on the back. It doesn't look like
a serial connector - it's a round multi-pin plug - an Amphenol type, though
not common. It uses 4 wires in the cable. The plug is a nuisance, being
oddball, so I am about to re-wire mine using a standard 9 pin sub "D"
serial connector.

The data, ie the machining program is a simple text file in ASCII format,
which can be written by most word processors and saved in ASCII. - I'm
quite happy programming manually.

I have several of the old early portable "computers", which used about a 10
line LCD display a keyboard and were about the size of a sheet of A4 paper,
and ran off either 4 AA cells, or 4 NiCads. The ones I use are NEC model
3800,3801, 3802 and a Tandy/Radio Shack Model 100. These all have internal
storage for programs in battery RAM, capable of holding a number of CNC5
programs. These machines store text as ASCII files, and will dump it
direct to their serial ports,, and hence into either the CNC 5, or another
computer. It is MUCH easier physically programming on one of these or on a
PC than on the CNC5. I save the programs to the PC, - floppy or HD. Some
times I merely use the little comp. to transport the program to the CNC5,
and of course to save any changes back from the CNC 5. Other times I
actually program on the little NEC. The little portables are much more
"shop proof" than a modern laptop - no moving parts for a start.

Their particular advantage, apart from the programming convenience, is
reliability. The tape drive is the single worst feature of the CNC
5. It is unreliable, it misreads, it miswrites, and the tapes are hard
to get. You can use the mini dictating machine tapes but for digital
recording they are even less reliable.

The old portables can often be picked up for $10 or 15 as they are totally
superceded technology but long lived and reliable. The Nec Multispeed also
can be used this way and has 2 built infloppies..

Finally a couple of requests . I have the electronics for the CNC 5 tool
turret fitted but I do not have the actual rotary turret - does any one
have one of these they would be prepared to dispose of please.

Secondly, - Manuals / Service Data I have the various operators manuals and
the firmware installation manuals, but iI would like to get hold of the
actual electronic service data -schematic circuit diagrams, set up data
etc. Can anyone help please.

Jim Gregg.

At 03:00 AM 10/24/01 +0000, you wrote:

>Message: 1
> Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2001 13:52:55 -0800
> From: "FIK" <vrojas@...>
>Subject: Re: EMCO CNC5 Floppy Drive
>
>The CNC5 and the F1 came in sveral generations as most of us knw. The
>majority have a miniture tape drive for storing programs. There was one
>generation possibly a limited run as I have never seen one in the flesh onl
>in the brochure when I prchased my frst machine from EMCO. when the machine
>arrived I was disapointed that it had a tape reader instead of a floppy
>drive. In fact I tried to return the machine adn get the floppy drive
>version but it was not available. THis is one feature pron=baly the one
>biggest redeeming quality of the CNC5 machines F1 CNC inclusive is that
>evrything needed is all right there, keypad, storage device CPU. How hard
>woould it be to convert these machines to accept a floppy drive? Or any
>machine for that matter. My personal preference is to have the machine selof
>conmtained, I like the handiness of not having to have a computer in y
>filthy shop. I now could clean the shop anmd put in air filtration systems,
>I genrate LOTS and LOTS of very fine dust. but to keep on track here for
>once. HOW tough would it be to add a Floppy drive instead of the tape
>reader. It would be so hand then to be able to write programs, store them on
>a floppy, transfer the informastion ina typical file stroing manner a drive
>to some folder in my computer, when I want to use it I can just load it on a
>new flopp take the flopy to my work place and pop it in, load the prgram
>into memory and after dialing evrything in, setting the G92 get to work.
>What a lovely thing these CNC5's could be. So I know there a lot of solder
>and flux people on here, some computer techies, How tough to make the tape
>reade a Floppy drive??
>Johnno

Discussion Thread

Alison & Jim Gregg 2001-10-23 21:07:35 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] CNC5 Floppy Drive- was -Digest Number 1725 message1 Brian Pitt 2001-10-23 22:20:56 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] CNC5 Floppy Drive- was -Digest Number 1725 message1 Dave Aley 2001-10-23 22:33:20 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] CNC5 Floppy Drive- was -Digest Number 1725 message1