CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: new Gecko drives update?

on 2001-10-31 19:25:36 UTC
Carlos,

Good evening! "The best layed plans of mice men oft go awry" or "when
you are up to your ass in alligators it's easy to forget you're here
to drain the swamp".

We work on a careful supply-chain that brings in assembled drives
about a month after the work has been put out. What that means is we
run our hi-tech, super-dooper, highly automated surface mount line
and send out to contract assembly shops the finished panels (12 G201s
per panel) for the necessary thru-hole work. We then get finished
drives back that only need testing and a cover to be shippable. This
way we don't need to have dozens of assemblers as employees.

The whole thing depends on a careful assesment of what demand will be
one or two months in the future.

What happened is we badly underestimated demand 3 months ago;
basically it jumped from 400 drives per month to a 1,000 and the gaps
had to be filled. Rule #1 is you always ship on time regardless, so I
and everyone else had to pinch-hit doing assembly.

This was a miss-application of ability but utterly necessary. It also
made digging out of the hole a protracted process but thankfully it's
finally done.

Again I have the luxury of doing design work. I have completed an
upgrade of the G201 and G320, fixed the mistakes on the G901 and
finished the prototype layout of the brushless drive aka the G420.
All have gone to our PCB supplier who will certainly get rich from
all these new boards.

Bottom line is the G420 will be out before the end of the year,
albeit delayed for the afore-mentioned reasons.

The motors you have are 40W output. That is about what you can get
from a single or double stack size 23 step motor. I know, I have half
a dozen of them and I have been using them for testing the G420.

Mariss

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@y..., "Carlos Guillermo" <carlos@v...> wrote:
> Hey Mariss -
>
> How about an update on your progress with the new drives? The
> brushless drive, especially. I think a lot of us (inc. me)
> ordered a handfulof very nice looking small motors from Jameco,
> etc., only to discover they were brushless when they arrived!
>
> TIA,
>
> Carlos Guillermo
> VERVE Engineering & Design

Discussion Thread