CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Parallel Port Interface / correction!

Posted by Doug Fortune
on 2001-11-04 17:22:36 UTC
Correction! Not a NAND (lost my mind apparently),
we need an EXCLUSIVE-OR gate as Alan suggests.

But the '136 is not a SCHMITT trigger either..

So here is an alternative (I can't remember the
chip I used last time, can't find my book...),
so the suggestion instead is a:

Non-Inverted:
- 74'341 or 74'344 octal buffer/line driver with Schmitt
trigger

Inverting:
- 74'340 octal buffer/line driver with Schmitt trigger

Both have the same pinouts, so if you use a socket, you
can just switch chips to change between inverting and non-inverting.
All three devices are 3 state, but we will just enable them
permanently (using pin1 and pin19).

Bonus points to Alan for keeping me honest....

Alan Marconett KM6VV wrote:

> Hi Doug,
>
> the '132 is a NAND, but I think you're confusing it. Gnd a NAND input,
> and you get nothing through. Tie an input HI, and the signal goes
> through INVERTED. Now a '136 is an EXCLUSIVE-OR gate, and work similar
> to what you're saying. Perhaps that's the one you're thinking of?

> Doug Fortune wrote erroneously under the influence of
insufficiently caffeinated coffee: