CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] digitizing engine camshafts...

Posted by Smoke
on 2001-11-07 10:32:30 UTC
You can find out everything you need to know about the camshaft manually.

Place the camshaft between the centers of a dividing head and tailstock
mounted on a mill table. The table. Install a dial indicator in the
spindle and lock the spindle so it won't turn. The dial indicator needs to
have enough travel to go from the highest point to the lowest point on the
cam.

Raise the table, rotate the cam to somewhere on its lowest position. Zero
the dial.

Now start rotating the dividing head. As soon as the dial comes off zero,
stop and write down the travel. Rotate the dividing head in equal
increments and plot the changes. When the cam gets to it's highest point,
it may remain at that point for a few degrees. By plotting the entire cam
you'll get a pretty good idea how long the valves will be open. Of course
you'll also have to take into consideration any play in the valve train to
be absolutely sure at what point the valve actually opens and closes.

Do this for all the valves. The exhaust cams will probably be different
from the intake cams. Also you can average the readings between like cams.

Next plot this information in a CAD program and use it to develop a smooth
curve in a vertical plane. Now your ready to generate g code for cutting
the cams using a fourth axis CNC mill.

Smoke