CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: John Elson read this please

batwings@... wrote:

> I just came back from your site and I have to say it's nice to see some
> good C++ written down there.

Well, actually, it is plain C, and it may have some funny logic, since the
original version was Pascal. But, since Pascal is not supported by default
in Linux, and is becoming outmoded, and because there was some thought
that EMC would eventually incorporate some of these routines, I converted
them to C when bringing them over to Linux.

> I realized early on that once routine compared the X and Y dimensions, and
> figured out which way to start (from point equidistant from one end and
> both sides, IE on int of lines 45 deg to end corners), the remaining part
> was a matter of book-keeping only on the diff between tool dia and the
> location of the end. I decided after plowing the center stripe to step out
> the given increments along a 45 deg line toward a corner and then add two
> times cut width to each length of cut, plus on longer axis add the diff
> between width and length. Then book-keeping only that one distance makes
> the machine stop out-stepping the right amount for the other sides too. I
> didn't examine closely enough to see if you did that,

Actually, I make a 'square' spiral, working out until the last pass at each level
reaches the finish clearance, then it returns to the middle and plunges for the
next pass. When the last roughing level is done, it continues out to complete
the finish pass. Assuming standard right-hand tools, it climb mills all the way.

batwings@i... 1999-10-13 22:39:22 UTC John Elson read this please Jon Elson 1999-10-14 21:36:08 UTC Re: John Elson read this please batwings@x... 1999-10-14 19:51:35 UTC Re: John Elson read this please Jon Elson 1999-10-15 22:37:49 UTC Re: John Elson read this please Marshall Pharoah 1999-10-18 05:14:27 UTC Re: John Elson read this please