CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: STLwork, DesKam

on 2001-11-14 11:21:49 UTC
Hi Al,

I must confess, I have not run either very much. DesKam does things
like: Handle STL and DXF files, generating Gcode for them. It handles
islands. It will also import the RS-274X Gerber files as I recall, but
not the older 'D' files, for PCB routing. This is interesting. ;>)

STLwork with STLtrans, can do similar things. The power I first saw is
the long list of files that can be translated via STLtrans into STL's
for use by STLwork. I wanted the DEM's. You'll probably want a 3D
modeler to work with STLwork. Rhino, Solid Edge come to mind.

IMS is currently shipping a copy of Amorphium, Which does 3D modeling,
with an STLwork purchace. Again, I have only briefly looked at this
package, as I need to finish my homework before I get to play with the
toys! From a cursory look, Amorphium might be more for anamation then
CAD modeling. Definately an Artist's approach, somewhat like starting
with a ball of clay; and doing things with it. Should prove
interesting. I didn't see a mention of STL or any other file I
recognized in the manual, but it is reported to output DXF, 3DS, and
Vrml files. My youngest son was taken with it! He's FILM, not
Engineering, still working on that (he did enjoy running my RF-31 mill,
so there's hope).

I also received my Free Solid Edge Origin Plus CD, and started to look
at it. My! I'll be studying until I drop!

I really can't compare them, Perhaps someone with MORE TIME (and who
KNOWS about this 3D modeling stuff) can download the evals, and give us
an apprasal!

I'd have to say they belong in different catagories. Sorry I can't
offer more comments.

Alan KM6VV
(in study hall)

Al Schoepp wrote:

> Hi Alan,
>
> Would you mind providing a little more detail, I've been thinking about
> getting one of these programs.
> What's significantly different between them? Which do you like better?
>
> Al
>
> At 10:25 PM 13/11/2001 -0800, you wrote:
>
> >Hi Chris,
> >
> >I have both DesKam and STLwork, and they are nowhere the same, as far as
> >I can see! I'm itching to make some cuts using my STLwork. I've been
> >able to import a DEM file into STLwork and generate Gcode from it.
> >Looks good! STLwork has a whole list of imports, XYZ has my current
> >interest.
> >
> >Alan KM6VV

Discussion Thread

Alan Marconett KM6VV 2001-11-14 11:21:49 UTC Re: STLwork, DesKam