CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] VM ware

carlcnc@... wrote:

> Is anyone using VM ware in conjuncyion with Linux/Windows?
> Does it work well? Any issues that are un resolvable?

YES!!! I have built a new system, starting with a Dell desktop
box, 1 GHz Pentium III, 512 MB memory, 40 Gb disk, CDROM
writer. I put Mandrake 8.1 (very new kernel, but VERY nice
features!!) on it. When I installed VMware, I found out I needed
the latest (3.0) which was in Beta test then (now released).
It works VERY well, a TOTALLY amazing program. A 1 GHz
Pentium is so fast, I really can't comment on performance, as
it is excellent on both Linux and Win2K simultaneously.

The only issue I have is making the parallel port work in
Win2K, and this appears to be a windows problem, not VMware.
The parallel port works in Win95 under VMware, which is the
workaround to make the EPROM programmer work. I intend
to keep poking on the parallel port under Win2K problem, as
it is of use to us for a variety of programs.

There are several ways to hook up 'virtual' disks, or real partitions
to the 'guest' OS, some of them allow you to transfer files between
systems and some don't. One restriction is that you can't have
two operating systems writing to the same disk partition (file
system) at the same time. I'm pretty sure there are ways around
this with the Samba setup, but I'm no expert in Samba, so I haven't
gotten that working yet.

VMware may also need you to run it from a root account, or give
it priviledges, but that's no problem for most personal systems.

Overall, a totally amazing program, and it works remarkably well.

You can allow Windows to take over the whole screen, and you can't
tell it is not a machine running Windows natively. You can switch
back to Linux with a couple key clicks and mouse clicks, and you
can't even tell the windows system is there in the background.
Or, you can have the guest OS in a window on the host OS's
screen.

You can make either Linux or Windows the host OS, but for security
and reliability, I think Linux is the obvious choice. (This machine
I write this from, my home system (not the one described above, that
is my work system) has been up over 70 DAYS without a reboot!
You won't see that with Windows.)

carlcnc@y... 2001-11-19 17:10:07 UTC VM ware Jon Elson 2001-11-19 21:34:53 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] VM ware dlantz@a... 2001-11-20 05:24:58 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] VM ware