CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

4ths axis controller

Posted by Fred Smith
on 2001-11-24 08:01:02 UTC
--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@y..., William Reidsema <wreidsema@y...> wrote:
> Hello All,
> Back to the question of a full 4 axis
> simultaneous interpolation software. Does such a
> software exist? Is it within the reach of a
> home-hobbyist's budget? Please don't confuse this with
> most
> post processor software that merely switches another
> axis with the rotary axis.

I'm not sure exactly what your question is Bill. Most controllers
support 4 axes. Nearly all will do 3 axis simultaneous contouring,
pick any 3 of the 4. One can be rotary. Can you describe an
application that actually requires 4 axes to move at the same time?
I can understand that you don't want to unplug the Y axis and plug in
the A rotary. But if you can issue an A command in degrees, followed
by a pocket routine in X-Y-Z, does that satisfy your requirement for
making a ring setting?

I have worked with several people over the last couple of years,
applying the Vector rotary to hobby kinds of work. I have not found
too many applications that required full 4, that did not actually
also require a 5th. Those that cannot be easily cut with that setup
tend to be hard to reach, like the inside of a vase that has a
smaller opening than the rest of the id(shank to part interference
becomes an issue). Loops are tricky, like the handle of a cup, but
when they cannot be machined with rotary positioning and 3axis
contouring, they usually are best programmed with $20,000 CAM
software on a 5 axis machine, neither of which is hobby class.

Best Regards,

Fred Smith
IMService

Discussion Thread