CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] What is the practicality of cutting 1' x 3' x 1/8" aluminum on a gantry CNCRouter?

Posted by CL
on 2001-11-29 14:22:38 UTC
Eric,
You may want to check out a few photos of my machine. My very first machine
like this one was built almost entirely by using another flatbed router. I use
mine now for machining aluminum as shown on this page:
http://www.data-cut.com/page5br.html

You are absolutely correct in concluding that a CNC Router is in no way a
replacement for a milling machine. But, It sure beats nothin' !

Depending on the tooling you use and having an understanding of the machines
limitations, you can machine aluminum quite well. I have cut many gauge panels
and control faces. Obviously brass is about the same. I have even done a little
steel, however my spindle rpm is a bit too fast.

Bring on the Robot building !

Chris Luebke
DATA-CUT