CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] bipolar unipolar steppers?

Posted by Dan Mauch
on 2001-12-09 07:00:30 UTC
Most manufacturers of stepper motors rate their stepper torque (6 or 8
wires) per phase in unipolar. But when the motor is wired in bipolar
series or bipolar parallel the rating is increased by ~25%. So a motor
rated at 100 oz in unipolar would be 125% over that or ~125 oz in.
bipolar.
Dan

-----Original Message-----
From: hotaluminum [mailto:zbadone@...]
Sent: Saturday, December 08, 2001 8:27 PM
To: CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] bipolar unipolar steppers?

I am looking into purchasing some steppers for a xyz router table. I
have been trying to determine what kind of steppers to purchase. From
the info I have been looking at, I gather that unipolar drives are
cheaper (cost wise) and have easier to build and simpler driver
circuits then bipolar steppers.

But with bipolar, I understand, are more powerful and efficient than
unipolar steppers. I also understand that a unipolar drive can be
hooked up as biploar by not hooking up the center tap of the coils.

Here is my question. If a 100in/oz unipolar stepper is wired as a
bipolar and by using a chopper type driver would the holding torque
effectivley be doubled?

thanks

Addresses:

Post messages: CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com