CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: testing G201

Posted by mariss92705
on 2001-12-12 22:33:21 UTC
Hi,

A digital volt-meter really gives no useful information when reading
the motor terminals. This is because the voltage on the terminals is
a 20 kHz waveform with an amplitude equal to the power supply voltage.

What varies is the duty cycle of the waveform and is dependent on
numerous variables such as motor inductance, winding resistance,
power supply voltage, set phase current, which microstep it is on,
motor speed, motor load, etc. etc.

If you want, set your meter to "DC Amps" and put in series with a
motor winding. It will then read the motor phase current current if
you single-step the motor. This current will be sinusoidal, with a
period of 40 step pulses and an amplitude equal to the set current.

This is interesting to do but really serves no useful purpose.

The drives are fully tested to their max and min specs before they
ship. Simply hookup the drive per the instructions and go.

Mariss

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@y..., "cadcamcenter" <cadcamcenter@y...> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am going to test the G201 this way. Connect a
>
> 8.2k resistor across terminal 11 and 12 (current set)
> 24V DC supply across terminal 1 and 2
> +5V from the PC PS (red wire) to terminal 10
> relevant pins from the parallel port to terminal 8 & 9
> Digital voltmeter H to terminal 3 and 4
> Digital voltmeter K to terminal 5 and 6
> terminal 7 unconnected.
>
> Will the geckos breathe fire when the power supply is switched on?
>
> When I jog single step with controller SW what should the digital
> meter read?
>
> (fill in the blank)
> Step H K
> 0
> 1
> 2
> 3
> 4
> 5
> 6
> 7
> 8
> 9
> 10
>

> Haven't done it yet, but Would it be something like this? (guessing)
>
> Step H K
> 0 0 +18
> 1 +18 +18
> 2 +18 0
> 3 +18 -18
> 4 0 -18
> 5 -18 -18
> 6 -18 0
> 7 -18 +18
> 8 0 +18
> 9 +18 +18
> 10 +18 0
>
> with the sequence reversing itself as one step from 10 back to 0?
>
> Many thanks
>
> Peter

Discussion Thread

cadcamcenter 2001-12-12 20:39:21 UTC testing G201 mariss92705 2001-12-12 22:33:21 UTC Re: testing G201