CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Up and Down; Is Z- away from the part or into the p...

Posted by cnc002@a...
on 2001-12-16 10:25:59 UTC
In a message dated 12/15/01 8:45:33 PM Eastern Standard Time,
afogassa@... writes:

> > I've noticed that depending on the CAM package I use the Z axis is
> > sometime generated using + values for depth and sometimes - values
> > for depth. This begs the question (as I am new in this area); is
> > there a "standard" for directions? For x/Y is 0,0 in the center of
> > travel or is it at the end stop so that all motion is forward?
> SAme
> > with Z; is 0 the top of travel or is it the top of the part (I
> > thought Z0 was top of material being milled)?
> >
> > Ken
>
> You should set z zero at the top of the part,down moves z "-".now
> for x and y ,picture moving the tool with your hands,forward and
> right will be "+".Don't go by the table movements as it goes the
> other way around.So if you start from center of part,and wants to cut
> forward it will be let's say G1 y10.000 f100; x10.00; than going "-"
> y-10.000; x-10.000; it makes a 20" square.

Ken:

One thing to be careful about is that not all machine builders make thier
tables in what is known as the "third quadrant" of a cartesian co-ordinate
plane. Some place their table in the "first quadrant" this completely
reverses all of the + and - moves. In the case of a third quadrant table,
motion of the spindle head to the left would be - and motion of the spindle
head to the right would be +. If you are using absolute co-ordinates then
all values referenced to the MACHINE zero would be -.

In the case of the first quadrant machines, all would be reversed. In case
of the Z axis though, all of the machines which I have installed and/or
serviced did have the Z axis going + in the up direction and - in the down
direction.

Hope this helps some.

Randy Abernathy
4626 Old Stilesboro Road
Acworth, GA 30101
Ph/Fax: 770-974-5295
E-mail: cnc002@...
We service, install and repair industrial woodworking machinery
Specializing in SCM / SCMI machinery

cnc002@a... 2001-12-16 10:25:59 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Up and Down; Is Z- away from the part or into the p...