CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: RE: Any "Best Practice" feed/speed when cutting Aluminum??

Posted by Ray
on 2001-12-23 18:43:27 UTC
Scot

There is sort of a speed and feed calculator with the EMC. It will show
up if you use tkemc or tkemcex and open the editor. Look under scripts
and it should show as feedrate. If you place the cursor where you want
the line of code in the editor window, and then click on feedrate, when
you are finished with the calculation it will enter the spindle code line
and feedrate.

With the calculator window open, start with your best guess as to the
percent of ability of your spindle motor and system to do the work. If
you are running a sherline type spindle you might start with less than
10%. My Grizzly 4/5 hp <g> might take 20% while a 10 hp mill should make
100% with most cutters and most materials. The calculations are based on
MH formulas which always assume sufficient mill to spin and feed the
cutter you define.

Select material and the type of cutter you plan to use. Press the spindle rpm
button and it will suggest a spindle speed -- often well beyond the max
speed of my spindle. Then enter cutter diameter and number of flutes and
guess again about the ability of your axis to feed the material and press
the feedrate button. You will see the entire spindle command line in the
entry widget.

This can be an iterative process by repeating each setting until you get
something that your machine is capable of. You can also directly edit the
code line by clicking on the entry widget and typing. When you are
satisfied, press the insert code button and it will place the code where
the cursor was in the editor screen.

As others have said, this is not an exact science. You will need to do
some experimentation with your machine. HTH and may the cutting force be
with you.

Ray

>    From: Scot Rogers <scotr@...>
> Subject: RE: Any "Best Practice" Recommendations for clearing chips and
> feed/speed when cutting Aluminum??
<s>
> ~3. I experimented with feed rates and speeds as I was encouraged to do.
> I ~came up with 2500 rpm, 5-10" ipm on XY and 1 ipm on Z seemed to work.
> I ~would welcome some recommended rates for my sample part
<s>

Discussion Thread

Ray 2001-12-23 18:43:27 UTC Re: RE: Any "Best Practice" feed/speed when cutting Aluminum??