CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

PTFE

Posted by Dale Smith
on 2002-01-06 09:50:03 UTC
The problem is finding it. Took me about 2 weeks of intensive searching and, in the end, found only one supplier. The minimum order was one case so my need for 1 can of "Teflon spray paint" got real expensive before it was over.

The saving grace was that it has a lot of applications aside from the one that put me in the "absolutely had to buy it" department. But, at nearly $20 pre can, I am afraid to use it because I might need it worse later. :o)

go figure. Maybe I'll relent and use it all before I die.

It is pretty good stuff but I have never tried it on ways, etc. Works wonders on sliding large stacks of paper across a cast iron cutter bed. Pretty quick and easy way to take some slop out of a 1911 slide.

wdsmith

> On Sat Jan 5 11:13:36 2002, Smoke, <smoke@...> wrote:
>>
>Speaking of plastics for use on ways:
>> >
>I was reading the other day how PTFE is put on ubiquitous pots and pans since it sticks to almost nothing. It is sprayed on and then baked.
>> >
>This lead me to wonder 'suppose (during manufacture of course) one were
get a can of spray on PTFE and apply it to the sliding parts and bake them in an oven'. That, combined with normal lubing should make for some pretty low friction coefficients. An extra boon would be no extra machine work would be required
>Sounds like a good experiment to try (with some small parts of course).
>> >
>Smoke
>> >
>ubiquitous(means everywhere!).

2)PTFE- (PolyTetraFluoroEthylene) also called teflon, VERY soft, when
used for linear bearings it is backed up with a harder material and
used in very thin layers. The slippery-est (lowest friction co-
efficient) stuff we have so far in commercial quantities.
Ballendo

Dale Smith 2002-01-06 09:50:03 UTC PTFE