CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: BP variable speed questions

Posted by bjapundza
on 2002-01-11 14:42:41 UTC
--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@y..., "Smoke" <smoke@t...> wrote:
> If the damage isn't too severe, you could simply clean up the
existing
> keyways in the shaft and sheave and make a custom fitted key. The
slightly
> oversized key would add a bit of strength as well.

I thought of that, but my minset said no because I kept thinking I'd
buy the keys. The keys are made of Delrin with a steel inner key. I
suppose I could machine new delrin keys that are larger, along with a
larger steel inner key...

> For the Pulleys, you could use multiple step pulleys. This would
give you an
> even wider range of options for the speed control. If your taking
the head
> apart anyway...why not count the teeth on all the gears, make
yourself a
> sketch and calculate what all the existing ratios are?
> That would be a good FIRST step.
>
> Smoke
>
> > I am in the process of rebuilding the variable speed drive in my
> > Bridgport Series I CNC, and am trying to make a decision in
regard to
> > the worn front pulley parts. The keyways are worn in the pulleys
and
> > hub. I'm thinking the easiest (and cheapest) way to repair the
hub
> > and shives are to press the hub out and cut new keyways on the
> > opposite sides of the hub and the shieves. The Bridgeport parts
guy
> > I deal with was very adament about not doing that, saying the
balance
> > would be upset, and the old keyway would quickly damage the delrin
> > bushings as the shives slide up and down the hub. I'm not sure
if I
> > buy that one, especially since he's the one trying to sell me new
> > parts. Can anyone see anything wrong with cutting new keyways?
Is
> > there a special procedure to press the hub out of the bottom
shieve
> > without galling it?
> >
> > The other thing I thought of was since I am going to be using a
VFD
> > to drive the motor, maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea to eliminate
the
> > top variable speed components altogether with fixed-size pulleys.
> > That would seem simpler and quieter. However, I haven't any idea
> > what would be a good ratio to choose for the pulleys to be able to
> > get high and low speeds. I don't have a manual for the machine,
so I
> > don't know what the reduction is for the back gear (low speed).
Its
> > also my understanding that torque shouldn't be affected by using
the
> > Mitsubushi VFD's at low speeds--is this true?
> >
> > Appreciate any help.
> >
> > Bob

Discussion Thread

bjapundza 2002-01-11 13:16:54 UTC BP variable speed questions Smoke 2002-01-11 13:48:11 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] BP variable speed questions bjapundza 2002-01-11 14:42:41 UTC Re: BP variable speed questions karl_l_townsend 2002-01-12 05:10:00 UTC Re: BP variable speed questions