CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Lathe bits

mszollar wrote:

> Can someone tell me, or point me, to a description, or picture of
> the different lathe bits. I see in catalogs that they are labeled
> using letter designation (A-E) and would like to know what each one
> is used for (so I know what I am ordering).

They are mostly used "as appropriate". In other words, if you have
to turn an OD up to a shoulder on the left side, you would use an 'A'
if I remember right, which has side clearance both on the left and
on the front. Since the tool can be held at any angle to the work,
you just select the tool that fits the shape of the workpiece, and
apply it at an angle so that the back of the tool won't crash into
the work and mar it. It takes a little practice to visualize the
interference ahead of time and select the right tool and holder
angle so that you can do as much work as possible before
having to change tool or angle. A good selection of tooling
(left, center, right, grooving, boring bars, parting-off tool, etc.)
is necessary so you have sufficient variety of shapes to accomodate
almost any workpiece configuration you run into.

mszollar 2002-01-15 21:48:13 UTC Lathe bits Jon Elson 2002-01-16 10:15:05 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Lathe bits