CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Timing Belt styles/sizes

Posted by Hugh Currin
on 2002-01-16 15:56:25 UTC
Chris:

I went through these thoughts specing a retrofit for my mill. From this and
other applications it seems the round tooth profiles (HTD & GT) carry more
power (torque) for the size than the trapaxoid profiles (XL,L...). For my
mill I used HTDs. They seem very similar to the Gates GT form but are not
proprietary. I wanted to stay away from proprietary belts so I could replace
them from anyone. The pulleys and belts I purchased were Gates though.

I had not heard that the tarpazoid form had more backlash than other forms. I
find it hard to believe a timing belt will have any backlash. One form, due
to tooth shape and flex may give a cyclic change in position with each tooth,
like cycloidal action on a chain sprocket. I suspect this will be negligible
though, but Gates knows a lot more about belts than I. I would be surprised
if this makes any difference on a hobby class machines. (i.e. one without
ground ball screws in a heck of a rigid machine)

My mill uses steppers rates at some 750 oz-in. I don't think this relates
directly to your synchronous motor but will give a point of reference. I used
5mm HTD belts and sprockets. The X and Y were, I'm sure, oversized since I
had the room. My thought was larger pulleys and wider belts would reduct
stretch and increase accuracy. But the Z-axis on the quill is tight and I
finally decided to use 5mm HTD belts 15mm wide with 18 teeth on the motor to
36 teeth on the ballscrew. I have not hooked it up but I think it is in the
ball park for this set up.

The trick is estimating the loads the belt will see. A stepper will see
considerably less than its holding torque. If it sees its holding or max
torque it is likely to lose steps. How far to be away from this and what cut
gets you to this level is the tricky part.

I hope this helps some. If I have miss-stated any of thisI hope others will
jump in and correct me. Thank you.

--
Hugh Currin, PE
Mechanical Engineering Technology

Discussion Thread

ccs@m... 2002-01-16 08:40:45 UTC Timing Belt styles/sizes stevenson_engineers 2002-01-16 15:22:21 UTC Re: Timing Belt styles/sizes Fitch R. Williams 2002-01-16 15:46:02 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Timing Belt styles/sizes Hugh Currin 2002-01-16 15:56:25 UTC Re: Timing Belt styles/sizes stevenson_engineers 2002-01-16 16:28:00 UTC Re: Timing Belt styles/sizes ballendo 2002-01-17 01:50:00 UTC Re: Timing Belt styles/sizes