CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: CAD help please

Posted by IMService
on 2002-01-16 17:53:26 UTC
>Message: 10
> Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2002 18:44:25 -0000
> From: "valrox1" <tcsibor@...>
>Subject: CAD help please.

>Basically, picture a standard rectangular swimming pool, with the
>deep section angling up toward a shallow section,.....

>Can anyone help me in how to draw this and subsequently produce the G-
>code to macine it? I own both Dolphin and Vector 9.3, so help in
>either or both would be most welcome.

Here is my method to make the toolpaths in Vector:

1) Draw the tops of each step and the outline of the bottom of the shallow depth, as if it goes all the way around the sides of the pool. Leave a gap between each step and between the top step and the outline of the pool so that it appears that they are free standing islands(.030 is plenty, just so long as the gap is smaller than your tool). Pocket this entire volume using the Pocket Z contours, Contour Parallel. If there is a flat area in the deep end, you can also do this simultaneously.

2) The only thing left now is the angled surface. Align your coordinate axis to this surface, and create a zero depth pocket, zig zag will probably be fine. Set your step over so that the cutter steps meet your smoothness criteria. (If you don't know, you might be better off using the skin function). Let's say that .1 stepover is good enough. Reset-No Move your axis, Edit-Cut the resulting toolpath, move your axis plus 5 inches in Z. Paste the toolpath. Now use Contour tooling to make multiple passes to a total depth of 5 inches. There are about many ways to develop the toolpath for this surface in Vector. This one came to mind as one that is fairly easy to explain.

3) Generate your G-code

This kind of part is very easy to model with a solid modeler. If you have made a model, save it as an STL file and StlWork will machine the entire model as quick as you can define your cutting strategies( 30 seconds maybe?). It has several cutting strategies that you can combine for the best results. One of the guys with Rhino, Vellum, or ProDesktop Lite can probably create an STL file faster than it takes to read this message. You will also be able to add corner blends, chamfers, etc in a flash, with no increase in the program development complexity.

Best Regards, Fred Smith- IMService

Listserve Special discounts and offers are at:
http://www.vectorcam.com/cced2.html

We are THE source for low cost Cad Cam

Discussion Thread

IMService 2002-01-16 17:53:26 UTC Re: CAD help please