CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

EMC for linux_2_2_10

Posted by Ray Henry
on 1999-11-07 17:57:24 UTC
Hi Brian. Welcome. I'm just a fellow user so...

I suspect that your hazing ritual was not as severe as some. (comment mixed
in)

From: "Brian L." <luczkiew@...>
>Subject: EMC for linux_2_2_10
>
>Hello all, I just got EMC running (in a RT simulator) under linux_2_2_10
and rtlinux_b11. I have a few questions.

>1) Why are the ini files in the emc directory screwed up (they use
linux_2_0_36 and rtlinux_09J instead of linux_2_2_10 and
>rtlinux_b11 respectively. Easy to fix, but took me about half an hour to
figure out.)

Thanks for finding that. I'm sure NIST will correct it soon. I often have
to adjust the ini files and carry my old ones over to the next release.

>2) How do you go about using the tkemc interface? This is undocumented in
the emc package and I would like to see it happen.

Tkemc is not quite full featured as of the 18 Oct release. Some of the
menu items still need work. I suspect that's why Fred didn't include it as
one of the possible choices in the ini. (although you can enter it there
and it will come up)

I'd recommend that you check it out by first running emc with xemc. Then
start from a second terminal in:

/where_you_put_it/emc

and run

plat/linux_*_*-**/bin/tkemc

It should load and find the running emc and be okay. This way you can jump
back and forth and see the features and what is missing yet The two
interfaces look and work a lot alike.

Tkemc will operate the machine in manual, auto, and emc mode although some
minor display things don't keep up with your commands. Where it misses is
in the other functions from the menu bar across the top. Help, Logging,
editing files some of these are not ready.

>3) Is there any documentation detailing the requirements and for an EMC
interface (the XEMC source code is not an optimal way
>to figure out how to author an interface)

The file emcsh.cc in plat/src is a good starting place to find ways to
implement specific emc commands for TclTk. The tkemc file that is the
system is easily readable so you can see how the emc_commands are used.
Many more commands are available within the motion control and IO system
than have been included in the emcsh yet. If I remember right, Fred asked
for volunteers in a recent README.

>4) Where can I find documentation on ALL of the APIs of EMC so I can write
an interface?

>Also, is there any better documentation for EMC available? the docs in the
package are not quite enough.

For the most of us, once we get it running we seem to get to busy to
address this problem. Most of the .c and .cc files are self doccumenting
-- cryptic though they are. I've often thought that it would be nice to
have more description but have settled for fiddling for now. If others
would like to attack this problem, I'd be happy to lend a keyboard.

IMO such an activity would be better suited to listproc@... than
CAD_CAM ... though we could post regular updates on our progress to this
list. Got a server that could hold it, and time? Others want to help?

Ray

Discussion Thread

Ray Henry 1999-11-07 17:57:24 UTC EMC for linux_2_2_10