CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: EMC for linux_2_2_10

Posted by Brian L.
on 1999-11-09 13:32:06 UTC
Thanks for not taking my critical message too seriously ;-)

I am trying to write a GTK+/Gnome interface to EMC, although if the tcl/tk interface impresses me enough, that might work also
(since I've never seen it).

-Zorander

Fred Proctor wrote:

> From: Fred Proctor <proctor@...>
>
> EMC Users,
>
> Brian L. bravely installed EMC for Linux 2.2.10. I should hide these
> better. He wrote:
>
> > 1) Why are the ini files in the emc directory screwed up (they use linux_2_0_36 and rtlinux_09J instead of linux_2_2_10 and
> > rtlinux_b11 respectively. Easy to fix, but took me about half an hour to figure out.)
>
> I'll see about putting version-specific INI files in with each release.
> I just have one set now and you have to hand-edit it to match your
> version, as you discovered.
>
> > 2) How do you go about using the tkemc interface? This is undocumented in the emc package and I would like to see it happen.
>
> The TkEMC interface is "under development," which means, for example,
> that I was adding logging over the weekend and it's still on a floppy
> here in my pocket. The key bindings are still screwed up, but it's
> almost to the point where it can replace xemc.
>
> To use the tkemc GUI you simply replace "xemc" with "tkemc" for the
> DISPLAY entry in the [DISPLAY] section. This assumes that "tkemc" is in
> the plat/linux_2_whatever/bin directory, which it should be since the
> Makefile in emc/src/emctask takes the tkemc.tcl script and copies it
> out. Note that there is another script that is loaded, genedit.tcl,
> which is located in the emc/src/emctask directory, and another one for
> logging. These will be copied out into the bin directory once I release
> this.
>
> > 3) Is there any documentation detailing the requirements and for an EMC interface (the XEMC source code is not an optimal way
> > to figure out how to author an interface)
> > 4) Where can I find documentation on ALL of the APIs of EMC so I can write an interface?
>
> We are missing two key pieces of documentation (at least): the User's
> Guide, which will tell how to install, configure, and run the EMC; and
> the Developer's Guide, which will tell you how to build your own GUI,
> add support for new boards, change the servo algorithms, kinematics,
> etc.
>
> For the Developer's Guide, all we have at this point is the main C++
> header file, in emc/src/emcnml/emc.hh. This lists all the messages the
> EMC can take, and all the status it provides. The messages are in
> Neutral Message Language (NML) format, which is a communication system
> we developed to support NIST's needs for a portable communication system
> that can use a variety of protocols (shared memory, backplane global
> memory, networks).
>
> In emc/src/emctask/xemc.cc, you'll see functions like sendMdi() that
> compose NML messages and write them out. These are duplicated in the C
> part of the Tcl/Tk GUI, emc/src/emctask/emcsh.cc.
>
> > Also, is there any better documentation for EMC available? the docs in the package are not quite enough.
>
> There is no better documentation right now. Your "not quite enough" is
> [...]

Discussion Thread

Brian L. 1999-11-06 08:58:17 UTC EMC for linux_2_2_10 Jon Elson 1999-11-06 22:57:22 UTC Re: EMC for linux_2_2_10 Fred Proctor 1999-11-08 07:45:10 UTC Re: EMC for linux_2_2_10 Brian L. 1999-11-09 13:32:06 UTC Re: EMC for linux_2_2_10