CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Rotary phase converter

on 2002-01-29 06:22:12 UTC
Thanks Fitch -

Yikes. I was trying to avoid having to set up a phase converter
in order to run a VFD. My lathe has a pretty nice selection of
gearing, and I would be happy with one or the other. The nice
thing about a VFD is that I could easily control the spindle speed
with the IndexerLPT / G-code interface combo. It is my preference
for this reason, although this would require quite a bit of
rewiring to implement the forward reverse and spindle "inching"
controls as they currently exist on the lathe.

The Hitachi specs say that the VFDs are capable of 150% load for
60 seconds. Does anyone know WHY they warn against running a
bigger motor? Couldn't we just pretend the motor was just rated
"conservatively"? The VFD is pretty well protected, and when the
current limit is exceeded, it will fault. It's got enough smarts
to make sure you don't get 5hp out of a 3hp VFD (but 4.5hp for 60
seconds is OK!)

Fitch - could you point me to a 5hp VFD that will run on 1-phase?
It should work on my 20-amp circuit, right?

Another issue - reading up on static phase converters, I found
that they only allow your motor to run at 2/3 rated power because
they only provide 1-phase once the start up circuitry cuts out.
Why don't they do like VFDs and generate 3-phase constantly?

Thanks for the help,

Carlos Guillermo
VERVE Engineering & Design