CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Re: Best cam only software?

Posted by IMService
on 2002-01-31 09:49:47 UTC
> Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 23:35:24 -0800
> From: "John Schwab" <johns@...>
>Subject: Re: Best cam only software?
>
>After spending lots of time looking though software and reading posts here,
>I am still uncerstain as to which program I could use. I am getting a
>Shoptask 3 in 1 and need cam only software that will work with my 3 axis
>CNC
>for both lathe and mill jobs. What is best, what is cheapest, and what
>does
>everyone recommend? Note I don't need or really want the Cad part, since I
>have this already why should I pay for it. What i'de really like is NURBS
>supported cam package, but that doesn't seem to exist for the home market.
>If not anyone want to help me write a NURBS cam program?

John, If you don't want to Cad in your Cam, why do you need NURBS?, especially for lathe? Nurbs is convenient for surface modeling and solid display, but not needed for most hobby/home projects. If you need swoopy surfaces, save your design as an STL (or related format) file. There are 3 or 4 programs that can mill these. If you are making prismatic parts (most frequent use) export a DXF wireframe from your CAD program. This will give you access to 5-10 CAM programs. Most of the low cost programs do not charge extra for the cad capabilities, and many use this for developing toolpaths.

A lot depends on the kind of parts that you want to make. Maybe if you described the kind of work that you would like to do, someone doing similar work can give you advice.

I've recently been testing a NURBS system that will probably be available for a home use price. It will be released around the end of the year.

Best Regards, Fred Smith- IMService

Listserve Special discounts and offers are at:
http://www.vectorcam.com/cced2.html

We are THE source for low cost Cad Cam

Discussion Thread

John Schwab 2002-01-30 23:35:26 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Best cam only software? IMService 2002-01-31 09:49:47 UTC Re: Re: Best cam only software? John Schwab 2002-01-31 17:59:12 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Re: Best cam only software? imserv1 2002-01-31 18:38:33 UTC Re: Best cam only software?