CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Clearification RE: drilling techniques for plastic to g...

Posted by JanRwl@A...
on 2002-02-01 11:09:25 UTC
In a message dated 31-Jan-02 23:40:53 Central Standard Time, lloyd@...
writes:

> I want the hole just large enough, so I can slide the rod in and out, but
> without much play at all...

Lloyd: What I do for such, even if drilling aluminum, is to drill first with
a 1/64" UNDER-sized bit (or, use the next-smaller letter-size, etc.), and
then follow with a "chucking reamer". If you use a vertical-mill as a
"drill-press", you could do this with a good 2- or four-flute mill-bit, as
well, maybe even "reaming" a little more than just 1/64" dia. if you use the
mill-bit, but you couldn't expect much accuracy doing that in a "sloppy"
drill-press, particularly if you didn't have the work-piece clamped down, or
(horrors!) try to use a hand-drill!

But one must consider: Are you drilling with some "common" fractional dia.
size like 1/4" or 3/8", etc? Hard to find reamers or mill-bits for 0.763"
dia., etc!

Lotsa luck!

JanRwl@A... 2002-02-01 11:09:25 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Clearification RE: drilling techniques for plastic to g...