CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Re: I'm impressed - and a GCode question.

Posted by Jon Anderson
on 2002-02-03 09:43:31 UTC
Alan Rothenbush wrote:

> Still sounds like a job for the lathe, though.
>
> An endmill ( which was the initial "boast" <G> ), is a no.

I assume you are talking about the undercut version which frees the
inner cubes? The cube pictured uses nothing more than a conventional end
mill. Inner cube faces are flat, the side walls are square to the cube
faces.
I modeled this in Cadkey in solids on a 2" cube. Didn't pay much
attention to the overlap at the corners other than to make sure there
was enough to hold things together. Dimensioned a couple diameters,
printed a drawing.
Took all of about 10 minutes to write the G-code in Notepad, about 30
minutes to machine one up out of black delrin.
I'd going to do a couple more after redrawing to get a more consistent
overlap in the corners. I had little problem machining this, only on the
very last face, did I get a bit of chatter, understandable given that I
had a mere .050 wall left on the outermost cube.

An undercut version in the mill would be doable, if not exactly easy.
The method described by Lautard involves a 4 jaw chuck and stepped plugs
to secure the inner cubes while doing the final two faces.

Alan Rothenbush 2002-02-03 09:17:02 UTC Re: Re: I'm impressed - and a GCode question. Jon Anderson 2002-02-03 09:43:31 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Re: I'm impressed - and a GCode question. Graham Hollis 2002-02-03 11:10:25 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Re: I'm impressed - and a GCode question. ballendo 2002-02-04 07:22:47 UTC Re: I'm impressed - and a GCode question. doug98105 2002-02-04 08:19:05 UTC Re: I'm impressed - and a GCode question.