CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re:Grammar (OT)

Posted by Andrew Werby
on 2002-02-04 10:46:34 UTC
Message: 9
Date: Sun, 3 Feb 2002 21:47:13 -0800
From: "P. J. Hicks" <hickspj467@...>
Subject: Grammar

I too often see grammatical mistakes here and even in 'big business'
correspondence that sets my teeth grinding. There denotes a place as in
'over there'. Their is possesive, as 'it is their shop'. Then denotes time
'do this then do that'. Than is an alternative as in do this rather than
that'. Meanwhile this is WAY OFF TOPIC!
PJH

[I thought I might start a business, catching the many obvious typos,
spelling mistakes, and grammatical errors I found on large corporate sites
for $5 or so each. But my test of this concept was disappointing- nobody
seemed to care about the sloppy image that was projected; the people I
contacted generally reacted with anger, not gratitude. In general, it seems
to be more expedient to proceed as if the stuff one reads were expressed
correctly, if it's legible at all, without taking time to point out
departures from orthography. But since you insist: the word "sets" in the
paragraph above should be "set", because it has to agree with the plural
"mistakes". If you must indulge in grammar flames, please proof-read them
first...]

Andrew Werby
www.computersculpture.com

Discussion Thread