CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Pro/Desktop Express 2001 - how to export a 2d file into something like Dolphin CAD/CAM

Posted by glee@i...
on 2002-02-05 14:10:31 UTC
Thanks for the reply Hugh,

First of all, I meant to type IGES and not IDES. Sorry for the confusion.

I have learned the following.

Pro/Desktop Express 2001 (PDE) works in its file format and will allow you
to import/export all of the file formats which I have listed below.

As far as going from PDE to Dolphin, the folks at Dolphin have responded
that I need to use the AutoCad14 format for best results.

As far as going from 3d to 2d to Dolphin, I am still working that out.

Here's what I "Think" that I want to do:

1. I want to be able to use the solid modeling features of PDE to create
parts and view them as solid models

2. I want to be able to then take these solid model parts and mate them
into an "Assembly"

PDE will do the above quite well.

Next, I want to be able to isolate a part that I have designed and export
it into my Dolphin CAD/CAM so that I can define the machining operations
and actually make the part.

I believe that the process to do this will be:

1. Design the part in PDE and then move it to an "Engineering Drawing"

2. Export the Engineering drawing as DXF in Autocad 14 format

3. Open the above DXF file in Dolphin CAD and define my contours, profiles,
etc.

4. Move into the Dolphin CAM module and define my machining operations

5. Export the G-Code from step #4 and take it to my AhHa CNC Controller
where I will execute the code.

A lot of steps but they seem clear to me. I have successfully done steps 3,
4, and 5 so I am just wondering about steps 1 & 2. I don't know if there
will be a huge loss of information in going from the 3d solid model to the
"Engineering Drawing." That's what I am learning.

In any case, I am happy to share what I am doing and I welcome feedback
from those who are further down this path.

Eric Mack

Hugh Currin
<currinh@OIT.E To: CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com
DU> cc:
Fax to:
02/03/2002 Subject: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Pro/Desktop Express 2001 - how to
09:01 AM export a 2d file into something like Dolphin CAD/CAM
Please respond
CAD_CAM_EDM_DR

Eric:

It may be that you lose all the 3D information when you go to an
"Engineering
Drawing". If this is true you'll get only a flat representation of the
part.
Let us know if this is the case or not.

In your prior memo did you mean IGES instread of IDES? IGES is a common
format for 3D models. Do you have another CAD systems available? You could
consider importing from Pro/Desktop to CAD X using IGES or STEP (or
anything)
and then exporting in DXF for Dolphin. May be worth a shop. :-)

Hugh Currin
Klamath Falls, OR

On Sunday 03 February 2002 12:41 am, you wrote:
> I think I have answered my own question.
>
> Once I draw my solid model, I need to then open an Engineering Drawing.
> When I do this, it exports the solid model into the engineering drawing.
> From there, if I choose FILE EXPORT, I now have some additional formats:
>
> DXF FILE - This is what I plan to use to import into Dolphin
> Medusa SHeet
> Product View File
> JPEG
> Bitmap