CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] timing belts for long runs

Posted by Les Watts
on 2002-02-11 07:17:18 UTC
Carl,

The Gates link I posted before has some data in the form
of EA vs load so stretch can be calculated for any length.
The only problem is that the paper only describes one belt
type. I wish they had charts for say a 3 mm pitch GT type
in kevlar. I bet it would look a lot better.

The belts are designed to be highly tensioned. They actually
are stiffer tensioned than slack (up to a point).

Call Gates... I have gotten very good tech help from them
in the past.

As for quiet routers my strong opinion is that there is no
reason for the high noise level in many portable power tools.
Proper design technique can give a quiet unit that costs no
more to build.

Marketing types have long argued that they need the "macho
factor". In other words noise = power. It is not true at all.
They are starting to come around though as they are anticipating more
stringent regulations. I had a large attentive
audience at my last design seminar.

Many trade tools are loud enough to cause permanent hearing
damage in my opinion.

Leslie Watts
L M Watts Furniture
Tiger, Georgia USA