CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Correct or Max voltage for Bridgeport Nema 42? + more..

Posted by rehenry
on 2002-02-11 09:33:59 UTC
>    From: "audiomaker2000" <audiomaker@...>
<s>
> I am planning to order this Gecko 201's late Monday (pending the
> results of this post)...

Sean

I'd use 210's because of the added flexibility that you get from the
pulse multiplier and because you can use the parport as either source or
sink. Mariss at Gecko has done some tweeking to his devices specifically
for these motors so order these.

<s>

> The reason I ask is because I can see some limitations in what you
> can do with only step and direction pulses on a single LPT. You'd
> think that some developer would at least consider accessing two LPT
> ports for more options.

If you are not terrified by the thought of Linux, the EMC can run step
and direction for up to 6 motors and single pins for plus limit, minus
limit, and home from one parport. You can also define a second parport
at the same time for spindle direction, lube, coolant, etc without the
need to be a programmer. It's all a matter of choices in the ini file.

I know of at least one Boss running the EMC and steppers just this way.

BTW - The Brain Dead Install (BDI) is approaching 2.12 and is reasonably
stable. Many have found it to be worth the $10 that it costs for the cd
or the time a download takes from

http://www.yty.net/cnc/bdi.html
http://www.yty.net/cnc/bdi.html.

See www.linuxcnc.org/bdi or contact me off list for more BDI info.

My personal answers to your power question based on the idea that these
motors have fairly high inductance and interta include the following.
1 - I'd run 70 volts regulated, 60 volts unregulated.
2 - I'd transformer isolate my Gecko power from the mains.
3 - I'd add DC protection that kicks in about 75 volts.
4 - I'd mount the Geckos to a BIG heat sink

HTH

RayH - U.P. Michigan

Discussion Thread

rehenry 2002-02-11 09:33:59 UTC Re: Correct or Max voltage for Bridgeport Nema 42? + more..