CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Clicks are clicks... was Re: OK, I've got a detent encoder... What now?

Posted by Chris L
on 2002-02-19 19:36:59 UTC
"Clicks are Clicks"...... I like that.

I'm not sure all the fuss over the encoder and the One big knob are warranted
for my use. I too, just simply jog at a high rate and then use a slower mode
to dial things in.

Flashcut uses a High setting which runs at rapid, Medium and then a Slow
which are both user settings, and then a "Step" setting based on your
resolution. Holding a key down in the "Step" Jog mode will let the machine
move at the resolution repeatedly based on your typematic rate. I find it
works excellent and contrary to how the Metal machining guys feel about
Router users and what they cut, but, I do a lot of engraving. I have to hit
locations every bit as accurate as them.

What makes things real convenient is I use two handy add-ons.

One, the Control Key "lock" capability offered in Windows "accessability"
options lets me Jog without holding down a key. I only need to push the right
key and it moves. PooPoo to those who feel this is simply too
dangerous..............

Second, I jarred loose and bought the X-Keys programmable Keypad 2 years ago.
Well worth every dime for a very simple yet very capable "Pendant" for a
typical PC Controller. Dos-Windows..... It don't matter.

I even have a layout posted in the files section that shows how I can control
the machine with this keypad.

Those who have used the "guts" out of one of them surely enjoys its benefits.
My only complaint has been the keys themselves are a bit vaugue.

I know of others who just buy an economical wireless keyboard. Oh boy... Too
Dangerous ?? This is a "home-hobby" CNC group. Learn to live a little !

One of my best Hand drills is still the old metal case without a ground wire.
If it kills me someday, I won't be wasting my time typing in this group !

Chris L