CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Stepper Math

Posted by Guy Sirois
on 2002-02-25 11:20:18 UTC
Yes, Sean.

the drives can change the number of steps it takes for one revolution of
the motor.

The common motor is a 200 step/revolution as a base value. When it is being
driven by a drive that runs in "Full step mode", it will take 200 pulses to
make it turn one rev. This is rarely seen/used.

You are most likely to encounter a drive that runs in "Half-step mode",
meaning it will take 400 pulses to make one rev. The motor just follows that
and stops at every half-step instead of every full-step of its 200 steps.

Likewise, there are drives that run in quarter-step, eight-step, or tenth
step like the Gecko G201. You are now at 2000 pulses per revolution. Your
motor runs 10 times slower than on a full-step drive but it is 10 times more
precise (theoretically) and most importantly, much more than 10 times
smoother.

The speed versus resolution is a compromise you have to make, but the
smoothness factor of fractional step drives is maybe more important,
depending on your application.

Hope this helps,
Guy